Friday, August 31, 2012

Crafty Friday!

Today's project I actually completed a couple of months ago. It was my first big project and I'm really proud of it. I upcycled an old changing table into a cute dresser.
When my fiance and I moved to VA we had no furniture, so it was my job to furnish the apartment on a budget. There are so many antique/thrift shops in this area so that's where I started my search. I found this changing table for only $65 and it's solid wood! All it needed was some TLC plus some paint and new knobs.






 First, I cleaned with the whole dresser with soap, water, and a wash cloth to remove any debris.

Then I removed the old pulls. I wanted to replace them with knobs so I had to fill the extra hole with wood putty. After that dried I sanded it until it was smooth. Now it's ready to paint.

I decided to do a two tone look with blue and white. I used Valspar satin finish paint from Lowes. It's great because you can get sample sizes (1/2 pint) of paint really cheap.

 I painted the drawers first. It took 2 coats and then a little touch up here and there. The paint dries really fast so it didn't take me very long.
Once the drawers are completely dried you can attach the new knobs. I got these from Lowes as well. They have a really big selection. I used different knobs, but the same style for each drawer. I like when things aren't too matchy-matchy.
Changing out the knobs is the easiest way to update or change the look of your furniture. Pier 1 Imports and Anthropologie also have really great knobs that are vintage inspired.


Next, I painted the frame of the dresser white. It only took two coats! This really surprised me, I was for sure it would take more.
And this is the finished product....for about $85.
(Don't mind the cords! We've since gotten those under control lol.)

I know I didn't use proper furniture painting procedure, but I think it turned out well. So, as long we're happy with it, I don't really think it matters. By the way, it's been about 5 months since I did this project and the paint has held up great!

No comments:

Post a Comment